None of the news you want - all the news you need!
August 25, 2003< Prev PostPermalinkNext Post >
Promising biomass-based power generation technology "Fueled by sawdust pellets, corncobs or coconut shells, BioMax generates electricity for rural towns, businesses"
Ocean Sponge May Be Best for Fiber Optics
"Ocean Sponge's Glass Fibers Transmit Light Faster Than Man-Made Fiber Optics, Scientists Say"
I think this item ties in well with last week's item about the coral reefs dying. Aside from preserving beauty and diversity in the environment, there is great economic incentive to explore the things we're driving to extinction.
Disney is laying off its traditional 2D animators, opting instead to only do 3D (computer generated) animated films from now on. A passing of an era...
Rockin' on without Microsoft This is the best, no-nonsense, pragmatic, pro-business view of one CEO who removed every bit of Microsoft software from his company. If you're still using Windows in your business, this may make you question your assumptions.
The winners in nerve.com's pickup line contest, successfully used lines, and miserable failures!
2003 Ozone Hole May Be Record Size, Australia Says
EPA to ease air pollution rules for maintaining coal-burning power plants
Affected by the recent computer viruses? The solution: 1) Don't use Outlook. 2) Don't use Windows. I just spent a couple hours cleaning up a friend's infected Windows machine this week. In over 15 years of heavy Mac/UNIX use, I've only been infected with one virus, and I've never had to use antivirus software (yes, this is biased)... "OS X defies viruses"
Here's exactly why Windows systems are insecure (and why Apple's and other systems are secure) by default: "Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design"
< Prev PostPermalinkNext Post >
By the way: If you are using Apple's Mail application, the virus emails will be automatically marked as junk and sent to your junk mail folder. Apple Mail has the best spam detection/removal of any mail program I've ever seen (and I've installed/used many, on many platforms).
A few organizations heavily infected/disabled by the recent Windows virii, Blaster, Welchia/Nachi, and Sobig (the world's fastest growing computer virus) in the last two weeks:
- 30% (estimated) of China's Internet users (about 22 million users)
- ABB (a European engineering firm)
- Air Canada (the reservations, check-in, and call center systems shut down, causing canceled flights)
- Amtrak (shut down in some areas)
- Bowling Green City schools network, Kentucky (shut down, closing computer classes)
- CSX Corporation, the third largest U.S. railway (halting passengers and freight)
- Edwards Air Force Base (network shut down)
- Isetan (a department store in Singapore, shut down)
- Maryland's DMV (completely shut down)
- Metro State College in Denver, Colorado
- North Carolina State College
- Several departments of the New Jersey state government
- The Alberta, Canada Government Services Department
- The city offices of Forth Worth, Texas (shut down)
- The Department of Homeland Security
- The Florida Department of Juvenile Justice (shut down)
- The New York Times (shut down)
- The statewide network for government and education in North Dakota (shut down)
- The US Navy Marine Corps intranet (72,000 "unclassified" computers infected)
That's right folks. Using Windows is a threat to national security - by design!